Is Your House Making You Sick? These Might Be The Culprits

Are you even surprised?

Updated on April 10, 2019 8:04 am

Catherine Zhang

Is Your House Making You Sick? These Might Be The Causes

All our lives, we've always thought about how the environment outside our homes can make us sick. We've always regarded our home as our safe haven. However, indoor pollution might also be the cause of our recent trips to the hospital.

Toxins, pesticides, mites, and moulds are everywhere, and the more you're exposed to them, the greater your risk of developing the health problems they can cause. Your home is not excluded in the picture as it can also be a place where harmful things can be found. Your habits can also affect your quality of life.

Here are some of the house habits that might be causing you to get sick these days:

1. You don't have houseplants.

Those green babies do more than just brighten your home. Maybe you don't like them because they can be quite demanding of your time and effort, or you're afraid you don't have a green thumb. But these tiny creatures reduce indoor air pollution. Plants like Bamboo Palm and Chinese Evergreen are effective in absorbing and removing harmful contaminants like carbon monoxide from the air.

2. You have way too much plastic in your kitchen.

Harmful chemicals like BPA are often found in plastic storage containers. Chemicals like this can leach into your food when you reheat the containers or fill them with leftover that's still hot. Also, polycarbonate plastic items such as reusable water bottles, cups, and even water jugs contain BPA that can disrupt your hormones and potentially raise the risk of developing cancer. Make sure that you are BPA-free at home. Even if the packaging says that it's BPA-free, you still need to be cautious the next time you buy a reusable item. You might want to opt for glass storage containers or stainless steel items.

3. Your kitchen isn’t properly ventilated.

Another reason for that unwell feeling is the level of toxic fumes in your home. Carbon monoxide is such a harmful gas that can circulate in your home if you use a gas stove. Even if you have an electric stove, you are not still safe from polluted air in your home. It can also create fumes as well as fine particles that affect indoor air quality. To keep everyone safe in your home, it is best to have your kitchen well-ventilated. Make sure that you use hood vent, exhaust fan, or open your windows properly to avoid the dangerous gases from circulating in your home.

4. You don't clean your pet corner regularly.

Your pup might be the cutest thing in the world, but it can also cause you a bad case of allergies. Pet hairs can be a source of different allergens that can spread in your home quickly. Cat faeces also contain parasites that might cause toxoplasmosis to pregnant women. Best if you clean your home as well as your pet's corner regularly to avoid the build up of allergens and other toxins.

5. You use harsh cleaning chemicals.

Of course, everyone wants their home to be squeaky clean, but that doesn't mean you need to abuse your cleaning chemicals in achieving that. Toxic fumes from these harsh cleaning chemicals can cause respiratory problems and even death. If you really need to use these kinds of products, make sure that you open your windows or use a fan to let the air go out. Or, you might want to make the big switch to organic products.

6. You don't regularly change your linens.

Those crisp, white bed sheets are the real culprit for the build up of dust mites. These tiny organisms can make it easy for you to catch a common cold, worsen your allergies, and cause hay fever. Your enclosed bedroom, with tightly shut windows, and the comfy temperature encourage bacteria to thrive. To avoid this, make sure that you let the air out of your room on a regular basis and wash your linens at 60 degrees or lower with antibacterial laundry detergent. Regular vacuuming is also a must.

7. You overlook your bath mats.

The thing that welcomes you in your bathroom is also the thing that causes you illnesses. Your fluffy bath mat is a playground for mould, bacteria, and germs, and all these contribute to colds and allergies. Wash your mats more often. You should also dry yourself first before going out and stepping onto your bath mat.

8. You don't sanitise your sponges.

Your sponge is actually a part of the problem as it can spread germs, like the disease-causing salmonella. Clean your sponge regularly. Rinse it well with soapy water or soak it for 30 minutes in an oxygen bleach solution. Do not forget to let it air dry. Or, you can also put it in your dishwasher or microwave for two minutes. And do not forget to change your sponge regularly.


What do you think of this article? Email us at hello@cromly.com.

DO YOU NEED HELP IN DESIGN?

Request a free quote from us!

REQUEST FREE QUOTE

Comments —